Sunday 10 February 2013

Unknown




This shot was taken on Grand Manan Island at the Anchorage Provincial Park Labor Day weekend.
With some help, I now believe this to be a Northern Harrier.

This is the same bird as the one perched in the first photo. I watched it fly (got this picture) and then got another one when it stopped on that tree. You can see the white rump so I believe it is a juvenile Northern Harrier. 






In October a few years ago, I was in my backyard early in the morning and this Cooper's Hawk surprised me.






And this one I took this past summer walking along the Clyde River road (PEI). Also with some help, I now believe this to be an immature Merlin.

Thanks members of http://birdingnewbrunswick.ca/ for the help!

5 comments:

  1. Your first bird is also a Merlin. Northern Harriers do not show such heavy barring as this bird; their heads tend to contrast strikingly with their torso. The petite structure (small bill, short legs, etc.) also point to Merlin. Look for the al dark eyes (only falcons show this feature) and the smudgy malar streaks in your binos if you can't get close enough for a pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kellie, thanks for your comment! I posted a picture of the first bird flying here http://birdingnewbrunswick.ca/forum/topics/3-different-hawks
      You can see the white spot on its rump in that photo. Let me know what you think!

      Delete
    2. Are you sure that's the same bird? I'm only wondering because they look quite different. I agree, the photo on your link appears to be a young Northern Harrier, but that bird shows a clear belly devoid of heavy barring, unlike the bird perched in the first photo here on this blog post. Plus, the bird here has a tiny yellow and black-tipped bill, whereas the bird in flight--though distant/grainy--has a clearly visible yellow bill and light face (part of its facial disc). Go to Google Images and search for 'Merlin bird' and compare with your above photo. I still think your first photo is definitely a Merlin.

      Delete
    3. Yes, it is the same bird. Other members asked the same question. I followed it and got those two pictures. Saying that, its still one of those times where I wish I could have gotten closer and taken more pictures! I'm not as familiar with the Merlin as they don't seem to be around as much where I live so the details you have mentioned are good to know.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete